Clean Eating July 4th Recipes & Tips

So a holiday weekend is upon us and I'm all about balance. You don't have to be super strict (unless you want to be) but you do need to set some parameters for yourself this weekend! I try to follow the 80-20 rule which means that 80% of the week I'm on track with my eating and 20% of the time I enjoy myself within healthy limits. I definitely don't want you to un do all your hard work on the weekends! 


This weekend we're having friends over at our house and we will be grilling out, swimming and just kicking back and relaxing! My goal is to eat clean for much of the time but to make the most of my treats.


Here are my tips and some great recipes to help you survive the 4th!  


1. Schedule your cheat meal for the week: My biggest tip is to look ahead to the weekend and figure out where your temptations are likely to present themselves and come up with a game plan for the weekend. That way you are never caught in a moment where you have to eat crap that wasn’t part of your planned cheat.

2. Don't let yourself get to the point of being ravenous: If you're planning a party or going to one, try not to skip meals.  I usually suggest that you try to eat every 2 1/2 to 3 hours to keep your metabolism in check, but also because I know that when I get to the point of being beyond hungry, all logical decision making goes out the door and I make bad choices! So no matter what, pack some snacks in a cooler, take a shake, drink your water and stay focused! Avoid being hangry at all costs!

3. Take a healthy appetizer if you're going to a party: This way you know you have something that you can eat that is guilt free! I've posted a bunch of my favorites below so check it out for some clean and delicious options (and no worries, your friends/family will love them too!)

4.  Stay hydrated: When the sun is hot and you're outside, it's super easy to get dehydrated and most people don't even realize it when it happens. So make sure you are constantly sipping your water and staying hydrated so you don't confuse your thirst for hunger and begin to overeat! Aim to drink 1/2 your body weight in OUNCES of water each day! Also remember that the more coffee  or alcohol that you drink, the more dehydrated you get, so keep drinking that water! 

My rule of thumb on alcohol is that for every alcoholic beverage you're planning to consume, you should drink a glass of water before and one after. Not only will that help to slow you down but it'll also help offset the dehydrating effects of the alcohol and make you feel a lot better the next day. If you are indulging a bit, stay away from those sugar loaded fruity cocktails like Margaritas, Daiquiris, and Pina Coladas. They're full of sugar and carbs and one or two drinks can blow your diet out of the water without you even realizing it. The best drinks to go for are vodka & soda water with a splash of lemon or lime. You can also make your own cleaned up margaritas that are clean. Try blending up fresh watermelon and then using the juice as the base, add in some tequila, a splash of margarita mix, seltzer water and serve. So refreshing and 1/2 the sugar! Another delicious option is Southern Spiked Peach Iced Tea or one of these light La Croix concoctions.

5. Don't skip your workouts! I treat my workouts as a NON-NEGOTIABLE, especially when I have a cheat meal planned. Schedule your workouts and treat them like an appointment that you can't skip. I'd also suggest that you get your workout in early in the day before life gets busy and it's too hot, busy, or whatever other obstacle comes your way.

If you're traveling, take your workout on the road. I love Beachbody On Demand because it allows me to stream my workout from anywhere and I don't have to carry any clunky equipment or dvds. If you don't have On Demand, go for a walk or run, try out the gym at the hotel, do some stairs, or visit a local gym or studio and ask about trial classes (most gyms offer a free or reduced priced trial class.) 

6. Be forgiving of yourself but not too much so that you end the weekend feeling guilty for what you ate or the workouts you didn't do. Instead, plan ahead to do what you can this weekend to support your goals and come Tuesday, get back on the wagon and do your thing. 

If you're interested in a clean start to the month, join us in our Summer Shape-up and Slim Down.


Clean Eating 4th of July Recipes

4th of July Clean Eating Salads


4th of July Clean Eating Appetizers

Buffalo Chicken Meatballs


4th of July Clean Eating Side Dishes

Greek Yogurt Cole Slaw


4th of July Clean Eating Dinners

All-Purpose Teriyaki Marinade (tastes great on steak, chicken or fish)
Trader Joe's has a ton of delicious, clean and easy burger
options if you're looking for some variety.
Skewers - my go-to favorite!
4th of July Clean Eating Desserts

Fruit skewers


 Have a happy, healthy and safe 4th of July!  

Comments

Popular Posts