My trick to staying healthy (cue the storm clouds?)

This is probably the worst thing I could do but I'm willing to take the risk. I'm not usually superstitious but with things like this I usually am. Here goes:


I can honestly say that this has been my healthiest winter on record. 
No colds. No flu. 

Here I am waiting to be struck down for even daring to say that out loud. Cue storm clouds and thunderbolts of doom!



Yes, I did get a flu shot but that same flu shot that everyone got that according to the CDC was only 23% effective. I got it anyway because why wouldn't I do everything in my power to protect myself? I work in a school with nearly 1500 kids plus staff. I have 3 little kids all of whom go to school with countless other germ carrying little kids. I have an already compromised immune system due to Lupus. So I play it safe and figure even if it's a bum year, I still have nothing to lose in getting it (other than the trauma of the needle which thankfully is getting easier every year. Maybe by the time I'm 50 I won't bat an eyelash at the needle!)


So back to my point. I've been heathy this winter. Not just healthy, REALLY HEALTHY. I admit this with all the trepidation of someone who should have been sick at least once if not 5+ times. The deck is stacked against me between my job, germy kids and my own body but yet no sickness. That alone is worth mention but what's even more notable is that I'm USUALLY someone who gets sick in the winter. I'm not that person who is sick a lot, but I am usually one to get sick 2-3 times a season. When I get sick, I'm typically sick for a while - that annoying cold that never seems to go away and where 3 weeks after I came down with it, I've somehow forgotten what it feels like to breath out of my nose.

So what's different about this year? This year that everyone and their mother seemed to get wiped out at least once by the flu or stomach bug or something viral?

It's been the only year in recent memory that I stayed committed all year long to my own exercise and clean eating. Yes I "cheat" but the concept of moderation is now a real thing in my life. I eat healthy and clean 80% of the time and the other 20% am mindful and moderate in my eating. I still eat pizza on Fridays and grab ice cream after school with the kids but those aren't an every day thing anymore. I do really believe that these changes are a big piece of why I've been healthy and stayed healthy this winter. 

Beyond that, I drink Shakeology daily which is honestly what I think the trick has been. Yes, I'm taking care of my body but that's one piece of the puzzle. 

What is this Shakeology I speak of? Well, some people dismiss it as just being a protein shake but it's so much more than that! It's a nutrient-dense meal replacement shake. What's that now? In plain speak, it's my go-to, no-thinking required, smoothie that I can make taste like whatever I want (chocolate frappe? Yup! Strawberry-banana smoothie? Yup! Peanut butter and banana smoothie? Yup!) I drink it. Andrew drinks it. Even the kids get in on the action when I'm willing to share! 

Why do I think Shakeology has anything to do with keeping me healthy this winter? Well, it's probably my most nutritionally balanced meal of the day for one. See what I mean?




So there you have it, my theory on one of the keys to living and staying healthy. 

Yes, I realize that there are a million tricks out there and there is not ONE right way to live a healthy life. All I know, is that this is what's been working for me. Not only is it working in the short term but it's also the first and only thing that has felt sustainable for me.

If you're interested in giving Shakeology a try or are interested in support from me in getting fit or healthy, reach out. I'd love to talk to you!

Comments

  1. I am very impressed with your post! Hope to see many such post from you soon!
    Fitness Model at Workout Music Motivation videos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great your article. Hopefully I'll read a lot or yours.
    Cook at healthy smoothie ideas foods

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts