Hammer & Chisel Results

Ok, so I'm going to be honest, my results aren't visually going to shock you but they're there. Initially I was hesitant to share this because I didn't have this amazing physical transformation but after thinking about it for a bit I know I'm being too hard on myself. 
The good:
  • Weight lifting programs mean more calories. This is not the kind of program where you can be living on a calorie-restricted diet. You need to feed those muscles to build those muscles. Food is love in my book so this was definitely a win in my book.
  • The nutrition guide is easy to follow. You simply do a little basic math and it gives you your calorie range. In my case, I fell on the line between A and B and decided to bump myself up to B since my goal was more strengthening than weight loss.
  • I am stronger (so are Addie & Parker, my sometimes workout buddies)
  • I have increased my weights by at least 10 lbs on each move.
  • My stamina is improved. 
  • I LOVE weights. I used to be a total cardio queen and really struggled to adjust to the pace of Body Beast when I did my first round of that. In some ways that prepared me a bit for Hammer & Chisel. I was pleasantly surprised when I started H&C though that the pace was perfect for me. It's a great blend of powerlifting, endurance, balance, traditional weight lifting and cardio. Plus the added ab, leg and glute workouts keep it interesting. Some people say that women shouldn't lift weights because it'll make them bulky. Poo poo. Weightlifting gives you definition, can help you lean out, burns tons of calories, and makes you physically and mentally strong. 
Upside? When you can see definition in
your bicep through your shirt!
The bad:
  • I didn't follow the meal plan as well as I could have. :( As I tell my challengers, 75% of your results come in the kitchen. If you're not eating for your goals, you're not going to reach them. In my case, I started Hammer & Chisel before the holiday, ate my way through the holiday and then worked for much of January to recover. I didn't quite get there. 
    • Yes, I made my meal plans each week based on the containers and did follow the balance of colors/categories but when you're not then also following the portioning system, you're not going to get the results.
  • There was too infrequent with my tracking (although when I was on top of it, my 21 Day Fix app was perfect for tracking my containers) and I indulged a bit too much with the fudge.

If only...




The unexpected changes?
  • Helllllooooo booty gains! Seriously. I've done a lot of workout programs but no one program has had this noticeable of an impact. And that difference was making itself apparent as early as 2-3 weeks in and enough so that I totally went back online and ordered the deluxe workouts which are an option to add in. Initially I wasn't sure I needed them but seeing the clear impact the program was having I was excited to add in the 15 Minute Glute Chisel and the 15 Minute Leg Hammer.

MY RESULTS:

Did I lose weight? No, but this is a weights-based program so weight loss isn't always going to happen unless you have a lot of weight to lose. As we know, muscle weighs more than fat so a lot of people actually see small increases on the scale but lose in inches instead. As I told my challengers who did this program with me, this is one of those programs that can challenge your relationship with the scale but it's also a great program to do just that. You start to use other measures like how your clothes fit as a more accurate measure of your progress.


Did I gain strength? Most definitely.

A bedtime lifesaver after 
those tough workouts!
Seriously, it's like magic.
Do you need to use supplements? Not necessarily, but they do help. Whenever you start a new workout you're going to be sore, that's natural. With this program, I was continually sore. Why? Because one of the awesome things about weights is you have the ability to continually challenge yourself to lift a little heavier. In a cardio-based program, once you learn the moves, your body starts to get used to it and you'll find week to week as you repeat that workout, you get less sore as your body adjusts and strengthens or you build up endurance. With a program like Hammer & Chisel, you can get used to the moves or the workout but even with that, you can and should be challenging yourself each time you do that workout to lift a little heavier as you build strength. So week 5 I was just as sore as I was week 1 and that was a good thing.

  • What helped with that? The Performance Line was a life-saver. 
    • I finished each workout with my new favorite post-workout recovery drink, aptly named Recovery. 
    • On those days I was really sore, I'd end the day with the Recharge. I don't love the flavor (vanilla) but I'll tell you, this thing has magical properties. When I take it after a particularly tough workout I quite literally wake up without muscle soreness. Think the difference between standing over the toilet trying to figure out how to sit down because it hurts to bend my legs. ;) 
    • Besides the Recovery and Recharge, I'm a committed Energize drinker. I'm a 5am workouter and perky as I am in the morning, 4:30 wake-ups aren't naturally my thing. Energize gives me that pick-me-up I need to physically be awake enough to rally. LOVE IT!
Would I recommend this program to others? Completely. I know men and women alike who are doing Hammer & Chisel and loving it. It's one of those programs that really meets people where they're at. You can start with 5 lb weights or 50 lb weights. This program builds strength, balance, and endurance and all of which can be done regardless of the weight you're starting with.
Some days you just need to throw on some sassy pants!



I will tell you, I used to believe that you needed to do tons of cardio to get results but that is just not true. This program is proof of that. I am stronger, leaner, have better balance and all from a program that emphasizes weight training over cardio.

Will I be continuing with Hammer & Chisel for another round? Definitely. I'm going to take a break to try out Beachbody's newest release coming out next week, 22 Minute Hard Corps, but after that I'm coming home to Hammer & Chisel. If you're interested in learning more about Hammer & Chisel or want to know more about how I could support you with it, please reach out. I have an amazing group of challengers working through it right now and am starting up another group in the coming weeks. I'd love to have you join us!
Fill out my online form.
HTML Forms powered by Wufoo.


Comments

  1. Very nice article and very informative. I love this blog and thanks for sharing. Its really a very informative blog for everyone.
    Urgent care 11212
    Brooklyn urgent care
    clinic brooklyn

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts