Are men and women really programmed differently when it comes to exercise and weight loss? I honestly don't know.

Andrew and I were talking about this exact thing yesterday. One of my challengers posted that she really struggles to stay on track on the weekend, which I TOTALLY get. Weekends are HARD! There's less structure, the normal routines are all out of whack and there are way more temptations. Can you say PIZZA?! (Oh pizza, how I love thee!)


Andrew's response was to ask whether she'd made progress while in the group, which she has - she lost an amazing 10 lbs in her first round of the 21 Day Fix! His feeling was that if she's seen progress, wasn't that enough to motivate her to keep going without succumbing to temptations? But it's just not that easy in my book. He's more of an all or nothing thinker with weight loss. If you're moving forward and seeing pounds dropping, just keep doing what you're doing. If only it were that easy for all of us.

I think part of the difference is that men typically experience change more quickly than women. I can't tell you the number of times that Andrew and I both embarked on a campaign to lose weight and he lost 5 lbs. to my 1 or none. Many women struggle for years to lose 5 lbs. while it feels like many of the men around us think about dropping 5 lbs. and oh look! There they go! 5 lbs. gone!

I know it's not that easy and that many men do in fact struggle with weight loss but as a woman in her mid 30s (we'll say mid and no one touch that please,) who's had 3 kids and whose metabolism is slowing down more and more by each year it seems, weight loss and muscle gain can feel nearly impossible. It is not impossible though. I wouldn't be here as a coach, supporting my friends and family in their health and fitness journeys if I thought it couldn't be done. I do, however, realize that it's HARD! We all struggle. We all face challenges, be they food temptations, unsupportive family and friends, genetics, babies who don't allow us to sleep, or work schedules that keep us running ragged.

What matters is that we're trying. If you're struggling to lose weight, to stay away from the cold pizza that's calling to you from the fridge, to keep your eye on the prize in a home rife with temptations, to find the wherewithall to get out of bed and workout sleep deprived, or are just looking to adopt some healthier eating habits, I'd love to support you.


We ALL do better with a support system. I'd love to think that we all have them around us already but sometimes we don't. And sometimes we do but we're not willing or able to fully open ourselves up to the people around us. I know now, after working to support some of my closest friends in their fitness journeys, that they too had a lot of negative self-talk running through their heads. We never talked about any of this before I became a coach and I never suspected that I wasn't alone in wishing I could be more, wishing I could do more and better at eating healthy, taking care of my body, and finally fit into those skinny jeans that were up on the shelf as my wishful thinking.

Since become a coach and starting my own accountability groups, I've been able to finally talk about these struggles with my friends and folks in my groups. It's given us a place to be open about our challenges and to admit our self-doubt and most importantly, to get SUPPORT. Sometimes all we need is the ability to vent about how we're not losing weight, to ask for help in figuring out how to workout with a baby who hasn't slept in 3 days, to get some ideas for easy, healthy meals that can be cooked on a weeknight when the kids are hungry now when you typically would have caved and ordered a pizza.

If any of this resonates with you, I'd love to help. My next challenge group starts up Oct. 20th. 60 days of support, tips and accountability to help you stay on track through the holidays. If you're interested but not sure if it's for you, let's talk!


If you're looking for support in reaching your goals or aren't really sure where to start, I'd love to help you. Fill out the application below for more info and I'll be in touch:

Fill out my online form.
There are tons of Wufoo features to help make your forms awesome.

Comments

Popular Posts