CROCKPOT CHALLENGE DAY 5: Crockpot cranberry-apple crisp

As you may have figured out, I'm all about anything that uses apples right now. In part this is because I love apples but in large part it's motivated by those darn bags of apples that are STILL sitting on my counter taunting me. I've sent all 3 kids with apples all week long and I'm snacking on them every chance I get. I've made 2 huge batches of apple sauce, a traditional apple crisp, an apple pie and apple cookies and yes, I still have 3 more bags of apples. It's ridiculous, I know. I comfort myself by knowing I'm not alone. Hence another apple themed recipe for today.

Crockpot cranberry-apple crisp

Ingredients:
6 c. chopped, peeled apples
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1/8 c. Splenda or Truvia
1/4 c. wheat flour
1/2 c. whole rolled oats
1 Tbls corn starch
2 Tbls apple pie spice
2 1/2 Tbls butter, cubed
1/4 c. chopped walnuts
dash of salt
2 Tbls lemon juice
1/2 c. cranberries (OPTIONAL - I like the tanginess)

Directions:

1. Spray the inside of the crockpot with cooking spray and place chopped apples in the bottom of the slow cooker. (If adding cranberries or another fruit, add them now.) Add lemon juice and stir to coat apples.


2. Mix together corn starch, 1 Tbls of apple pie spice and the white sugar. Pour mixture over apples and stir to coat.


3. Sprinkle walnuts over the apples and mix well.



4. In another bowl, mix flour, oats, brown sugar, second Tbls of apple pie spice and salt. Mix in butter and sprinkle topping over the top of the apple mixture until it is completely covered.


5. Set slow cooker to low and cook for 4 hours or until apples are tender and soft. Be careful not to over-cook the crisp or it will burn.



Comments

Popular Posts