CROCKPOT CHALLENGE DAY 4: Banana bread quinoa

So let me start by saying that I don't normally like quinoa. I really tried to like it but like kale, I just can't get on the bandwagon. It's a textural thing - too grainy. With that said, I was willing to give it a try in another form. I may not be a quinoa salad person but I have heard that it can be make into an oatmeal-like meal so I figured there was no time better than the present to give it a whirl. 

Banana Bread Quinoa

Ingredients:

1 c. quinoa 
1 c. unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1 c. water
1 1/2 banana (past ripe), mashed
2 Tbls chopped walnuts
1 Tbls brown sugar
1 Tbls butter
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Directions: 

1. Mash the banana in a bowl and set aside. In another bowl, mix the brown sugar and walnuts together.


2. Pour quinoa, creamer (or light cream), milk, water, butter and vanilla into the crock pot. 


3. Add the mashed banana and stir to evenly distribute. Sprinkle the sugar and walnut mixture into the quinoa and stir to mix.


4. Cook on low for 4 – 6 hours, or until the quinoa is fully cooked. If you need to, add additional liquid or sugar to the mixture for taste.


5. Serve warm and garish with slices of banana!

Nutritional information per serving:

Calories: 260
Fat: 7 grams
Carbohydrates: 38 grams
Fiber: 2.5 grams
Protein: 5.5 grams

Comments

Popular Posts