Spaghetti bolognese

I come from an Irish-Italian family so meat and potatoes and pasta were staples in my home growing up. One of my favorite dishes was my mom's spaghetti bolognese. It's seriously better than any version I've had in a restaurant. She uses veal but in the interest of being healthy, this is my take on it using ground turkey. Not exactly the same but still delicious!

I apologize for the absence of pictures! I took them but they got deleted by accident before I could post them. I'll have to take more next time I make it. For now, know it's delicious and probably one of the few meals the entire family will eat without complaint from anyone. :)

Ingredients
1 carrot, pureed
1 stalk celery, pureed
1/2 zucchini, pureed
1 yellow onion, pureed
2 cloves garlic, pureed
salt & pepper to taste
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 package ground turkey
1 Tbls olive oil
1 Tbls butter
1/2 c white wine (pinot or otherwise)
4 x 28 oz. cans tomato sauce
2 Tbls tomato paste
1/2 c milk

Directions

1. Melt butter and olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add pureed veggies and sautee until softened.

2. Add ground turkey to pan, break up and sautee until browned. Add Italian seasoning and salt & pepper to taste. Stir.

3. Add wine to pan and let wine boil down for 2-3 minutes.

4. Add tomato sauce and paste. Bring to a low boil and simmer uncovered for 1 hour+.

5. Stir in milk and let cook for another 10-15 minutes before serving.

Note: this tastes better on the second day so if you have the willpower that I typically lack, hold off and try it on day 2.

Comments

  1. Many delicious dishes and I think will be very nutritious. I wish I was eating it.
    Cook at quick smoothie recipes foods

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts