Snow day survival tips



So here we are - January and the first real snow day in Boston. The kids are home for what's looking like 2 days running. The ipads, computers, portable dvd players are charged and ready just in case we lose power (fingers crossed!) The fridge is stocked and we've got the heat pumping. We're all excited for the mid-week lazy day at home but I Andrew and I are also holding our breath for the minute that the sibling harmony breaks down.



The kids' reaction upon hearing school was cancelled.
Our reaction (although the good parent in
me feels guilty for admitting it!)
Don't get me wrong, I love a good snow day but when you're coming off of a snowy weekend into what looks to be at least 2 days at home with the kids and the possibility of no power, you start to worry about what state you'll be in by the end of it.

So we prepare. Everyone has a slightly different take on how you should prepare for "storm of the century." Some rush to the stores and stock up on bread and milk. I've never totally gotten the panic for bread. Are people making sandwiches for an army? 


Others run to the liquor store. This isn't me and I'm not judging. To each their own, right?


I did my shopping this weekend and made sure that we're stocked with healthy options so that I'm less tempted to eat off plan. Here's my fridge on the eve of the storm:

I also made a trip to A.C. Moore for Valentine's Day cards for the kids (hey, why not since it takes hours to make them anyway so we're getting ours out of the way early!), some Model Magic and plain white t-shirts and fabric markers. My theory is that we can't be too prepared for what to do in the event that we lose power. My kids aren't quite as resourceful as I was as a kid when technology isn't an option. ;)


Beyond the kid and fridge prep, for folks who are trying to lose weight and live a healthier lifestyle, a day trapped in the house can be anxiety-producing. I totally get it! Weekends are hard because of the lack of structure and snow days are even worse. Yes, you get to sleep in but there are so many more temptations when you're trapped at home. The kids are home, I'm more inclined to bake and veg on the couch, and it seems like every time I walk by the fridge it calls out to me.


So what can you do to stay on track with your health and fitness on a snow day?

1. While it's tempting to bake (and I totally get that - I'm definitely someone who likes to cook & bake their way through a storm!) or grab that bag of chips and mindlessly munch while sitting on the coach watching movies, ask yourself whether you need those cookies or chips. Are they helping to move you forward towards your goal? If you're trying to lose weight, increase your energy, and live a healthier life, they may taste great in the moment but by the end of the day you're going to be feeling sluggish. 

So what can you do to avoid food temptation? 


  • If you're tempted to eat something you know is not a great choice, drop to the floor and make yourself work for it - 25 push-ups or 50 crunches before you even let yourself consider it. A lot of times the pause helps me to be more mindful of my choice and I'm more apt to walk away. Pinterest is full of snow day fitness challenges like this one:
  • Pack your meals and snacks as if you're going to work. Only let yourself eat what you pack. I try to do this on snow days but it's also a great strategy to stay on track over the weekends and if you work from home as well. 
  • Think of the kitchen as closed during non-meal times.


2. Get up and get your workout in early before the kids are up or set the kids up in front of the TV and push play. This is just one of the benefits of home workouts - you don't need to get yourself to the gym to make it happen. If you don't have a good at home option, make one! There are a ton of available programs On Demand or workouts like this one that you can do from home equipment free.



3. Get out there and shovel. You need to do it anyway and shoveling is a great workout so it's a great 2 for 1 deal. You can burn close to 300 cal/hour shoveling!


4. Plan some healthier treats for your snow-day snacking. Think tea instead of cocoa. Skinnypop instead of microwave popcorn. You catch my drift. 


Whether it means calling a friend instead of reaching for the brownie or asking your partner to slap the cookie out of your hand when and if s/he sees it:




Know that if you are committed to something and want it badly enough, you need to do whatever you can to make it happen. 




If you struggle with knowing what foods to eat or if you're trying to figure out a way to make healthier eating and exercise a more regular part of your life and want some support, fill out the info below and let's talk. I'd love to support you!


Fill out my online form.
There are tons of Wufoo features to help make your forms awesome.

Comments

  1. The first several months of my site there were no comments; just give it time; now they come in like crazy every day! Thanks. family survival course reviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post! Very informational and knowledgeable. I will expect more from you in the future.
    Fitness Model at Workout Music Motivation videos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read your article, it is rewarding and gives me a lot of practical information.

    Cook at healthy smoothie ideas foods.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts