Carrot Cake Oatmeal Cookies

We were talking about carrot cake the other day at work which is most likely why this recipe appealed to me as much as it did. 

I don't think I even tried carrot cake until I was an adult because why would someone ever want to eat a dessert made out of vegetables? I mean really! What I never knew in my anti-veggie state was that I was missing out on a delicious vegetable/sweet treat. This is one of those sweet treats that my veggie-skeptical youngest child rejected based on name alone when asked to be a taste-tester. My more open-minded daughter heard the "cookie" part of the title and said "sure!" Here's what she had to say about it:


So veggie-lovers and cookie-adventurers of the world, this is your cookie. Try it and let me know what you think.

Carrot Cake Oatmeal Cookies:

Ingredients:
2 c. instant quick cook oats 
1 1/2 c. whole wheat 
3 tsp baking powder
3 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
4 Tbsp coconut oil or unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 c. maple syrup
1 1/2 c. grated carrots (about 3 medium carrots)

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 325°F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat.

2. In a medium bowl, mix the oats, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. 


3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the coconut oil, egg, and vanilla. Stir in the maple syrup until incorporated. 

4. Add in the flour mixture, stirring just until incorporated (don't over-mix!) Fold in the carrots. 


5. Chill the dough for at least 30 minutes. (Cover with Saran wrap if refrigerating longer than a half hour.)
6. Drop the cookie dough into 15 rounded scoops on the baking sheet. (If chilled longer than 1.5 hours, flatten slightly.) 


7. Bake at 325°F for 12-15 minutes. Cool on the baking sheet for at least 15 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts