Clean Eating Taco Seasoning

I'm a big fan of theme nights when it comes to dinner and although my husband isn't quite on board for Pizza Fridays, everyone else in my house is so it's a thing. Don't ask me how I married a man who doesn't love pizza - I'm not sure where he came from.

Pizza aside, one of our go-to theme nights is Taco Tuesday. Sometimes it actually happens on Tuesday, other nights, like today, it happens on a Thursday. Whatever the day, it's just plain goodness. 

What I love about tacos is they're SUPER EASY! Not only do they cook up quickly and make for great leftovers, but they're also a meal that you can totally make ahead of time and reheat night of, which is why Tuesday works great for taco night. On Sundays when I do my meal prep for the week, one of the meals I prep is the taco meat. We love ground turkey but lean ground beef is also a great option. 

If you're trying to keep it healthy, swap out that taco shell for a taco salad. The kids can have the shells if they want them but I typically make my tacos into a salad. Throw the taco meat over some lettuce, tomato, grilled veggies (if I have them), add some avocado, salsa, black beans or quinoa/brown rice and you have a hearty meal without the added carbs. 

Another big tip is to skip the packaged taco seasonings. Yes, they're convenient, but they're also LOADED with sodium and it's easy to make your own. I make my own seasoning every other month or so and store it in a tupperware in our spice cabinet. Try it and I swear, you'll never go back!

If you're a taco-newbie, don't fret! Literally all you need is a 1 lb. package of lean ground turkey or beef. Fry it up in a frying pan until cooked through. Drain any excess fat off. Add 1/2+ tsp of taco seasoning and 1 Tbls of water, stir and heat through. (Adjust seasoning to your desired taste. Remember, you can always add more but it's hard to tone it down if you get a little too heavy-handed with the spice!) Serve fresh or store for up to 3 days in the fridge in a sealed container.

Comments

Popular Posts