Snowed in? Bring on the home workout!

So we've just weathered snow storm #3 in 3 weeks. This is 3 weeks in a row of record-breaking snowfall in the Boston area. We've now gotten a ridiculous 90+ inches of snow in the past 3 weeks! With all of this snow on the ground, getting to the gym is a challenge. Heck, staying on track with your eating is a challenge too since, speaking for myself, I know when I'm trapped in the house all I want to do is bake and eat. 

You're not alone if all of this snow is wreaking havoc on your resolve to start of 2015 on a healthier note. It's hard to live up to you fitness goals when it's zero degrees out and snowy. 

With a winter like we've had over the past few weeks it's not hard to imagine the number of people who have eaten their way through the house. The kitchen is warm and homey thanks to the constantly burning stove and our waistlines are expanding as our New Year's resolution to get back on the workout wagon are fading into the distance. 

Just think about the sheer number of Americans who set New Year's goals, joined a gym and have already slipped or fallen completely off the wagon. Those numbers are usually quite high now that we're a few weeks into the new year. 

In fact, a study done a few years ago found that despite saying that they would workout on average 10 times a month, members at 3 Boston gyms only make it there on average of 4 times a month. With monthly membership fees of just over $70, that meant they were paying an average of $17 per visit! Interestingly, they could be paying just $10 per visit as non-members but they chose the membership because they were overestimated how often they would go. Boston gym-goers are not an anomaly. New York Sports Club estimates that their average member visits only 5 times a month! Crazy, right?


Just think of the number of Americans who are shelling out good money for a gym membership that at best they'll use a handful of times a month.

Not only that, but people also remain in denial about their gym attendance even after they stop going entirely: on average, non-attending gym members don't cancel until nearly 2 months after their last visit, paying for $187 worth of completely unused gym access!

In past years I would have been one of those well-intention gym members who pays but then fails to make it there. I never cancelled because every week I'd tell myself that I'd start over again on Monday.


That's not happening this year though. You know why? I have two things that are keeping me on track:

1. The fact that I don't have any excuses for not getting to the gym. My gym is my basement and the snow isn't keeping me from walking on down there. 

I have become a total convert to the home work out. For me the toughest part of my workout used to be getting myself to the gym. Once I was there, I was good to go, but getting there? THAT was the challenge and it WAS a challenge! Now my biggest challenge is rolling myself out of bed and down to the basement each morning. Doesn't matter if my clothes don't match. Doesn't matter what my hair looks like. No worries about forgetting the gym bag at home. No worries about the gym not being open when I need it. If the kids are cranky or home sick I can still workout. Overslept? I can workout at night after dinner. All I need to do is lace up my sneakers and push play! 





2. My challenge groups are helping to keep me accountable to the group and to my own goals. I can't honestly ask my challengers to do something that I myself am not going to do wholeheartedly each day. 

Not only am I running challenge groups but I'm also in one right now for coaches. I'm just about to start week 2 of the 21 Day Fix Extreme and this group is crucial to helping me stay the course.




So if the winter is eating you up, if you haven't seen the inside of your gym in weeks, if you have a little more padding around your mid-section than you'd like, now's the time to act. Just a few weeks until spring is here (crazy to think, I know!) No need to leave your house - all you need is some space to workout, a willingness and desire to commit to your health, and I'll provide the rest (coaching, meal planning help, accountability and tips.) Just think - no coats, hats, boots or shoveling required! Fill out the application below for more details - I'd love to help you shed that winter weight and get yourself back on track for the spring!

What are you waiting for? Take the leap!



Fill out my online form.
Use Wufoo integrations and get your data to your favorite apps.

Comments

  1. Nice post! Very informational and knowledgeable. I will expect more from you in the future.
    Fitness Model at Workout Music Motivation videos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cover your writing interesting and meaningful. Thank you for sharing.

    Cook at healthy smoothie ideas foods.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts