Unstuffed Egg Rolls



I'm in love and it's with one of the easiest, most tasty winter meals in a bowl. My love affair with Skinnytaste started a few years ago when I first started trying to eat a little healthier. I was on a quest to find ways to work healthier foods into my family's diet and they were still more than a little resistant to the idea.

Since then I've done a full on makeover of my cooking, eating and Skinnytaste has been a huge part of that. My family has loved literally every recipe I've made from her site or her cookbooks and this is yet another one of those examples. If you're looking for some delicious, healthy meal ideas when you're time crunched, the new Fast and Slow cookbook by Gina Homolka is my new favorite go to. It's also the perfect holiday gift (shhhh!!!)

This is one of my current faves and not only do I love it but my kids actually ate and loved it too! Crazy, right? It got 2 thumbs up from my picky 8-year old! Loaded with veggies, super easy to make vegetarian or to swap in your favorite protein and perfect for a cold winter day. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. It's back on the menu this week!

Unstuffed Egg Rolls

Ingredients:
1 lb ground pork (or chicken)
4 tablespoons tamari or gluten-free soy sauce
1/2 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
2 1/2 cups finely sliced green or savoy cabbage (I used green - Trader Joe's sells it already sliced up for you!)
2 cups finely sliced baby bok choy
1/2 cup shredded carrots
3-4 oz sliced shiitake mushrooms
1/2 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry 
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
2 medium scallions, sliced, for garnish

1/8 teaspoon white pepper (optional)

Directions
1. Set a large nonstick skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add the pork and 2 tablespoons of the tamari and cook. Using a wooden spoon, break the meat into small pieces so that it all browns, about 5-8 minutes. 
2. Add the onion, garlic, and ginger and cook, stirring, until the onion is soft. 
3. Add the cabbage, bok choy, carrots, and mushrooms. 
4. Pour in remaining 2 tablespoons of the tamari, the rice wine, and sesame oil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage and bok choy are wilted but still crunchy. 
5. Serve hot, garnished with scallions.


Comments

Popular Posts