Healthy Pantry & Fridge Tips

One of the questions I often get asked is what kind of food I keep in the house. People are often shocked to see that my freezer has 1/2 gallons of ice cream or that my pantry has chips. The thing is though, you can't live a life of deprivation. 

I tried the dieting approach on and off for years - avoiding foods completely for a set period of time until I got to the magic number on the scale or gave up trying. The thing was, total deprivation wasn't sustainable, as is true of most diets. It wasn't until I really made a lifestyle change and overhauled how I think about my nutrition that I was really able to make a change that was sustainable.

So how does my pantry/fridge look different today? Well, it's still got the chips and ice cream. The difference today though is that I've put thought into what I buy. What do I mean by that? 

First, you need to know yourself and your triggers and temptations. Most people have preferences and if you're thinking about what you're doing, won't just indiscriminately eat anything and everything in sight. I, for instance, know that if it is sweet and available, I will be tempted to eat it. So not only do I choose NOT to buy foods that I know will test my resolve if I have them in the house, but I also don’t keep them in the house if I’m committed to staying on track. 


Knowing that many of us share our homes with others and they may not yet be embracing "clean eating", my biggest tips is to find a good kitchen balance for yourself. What that means for me is that I still buy treats that the kids like but since I’m the one who does the shopping, I make sure they’re also treats that will not tempt me. They like Oreos and fruit snacks - sweet but not my kryptonite so they’re safe. A pint of Ben & Jerry’s? No way! That stuff is NOT coming in this home because I know I’ll be too tempted!

So yes, we have ice cream but instead of buying Ben & Jerry's, I buy Friendly's which I don't like. The kids get their ice cream and when I get a sweet tooth, I'm not likely to reach for the Friendly's. I'm not naturally a big salty snacker so I can keep the Cheez-its and goldfish in the house without worry about them becoming my next binge. 

I do make sure to keep plenty of cleaner, healthier alternatives at the ready so that I have something to turn to when a craving hits. I've learned that deprivation doesn't do anything other than lead me to a binge down the road so I've found a handful of healthier alternatives that meet my various cravings in a healthier way. 

Some of those replacements:


Some other ideas:
Most importantly, know yourself. Think about what appeals and what doesn't. You may not be able to control the other eaters in your house but you can make choices about what foods you choose to buy and keep lying around. 

Another tip which one of my challengers suggested this weekend is having a cabinet or shelf that is yours and yours alone. If your family/roommates insist on having foods in the house that don't support your nutritional goals and they're foods that are tempting to you, give them their own space and mentally make that cabinet or shelf of the fridge off limits. 

Every weekend before my challenge groups kick off, I ask my challengers to take a look at their fridge and pantry and clean out the foods that are their kryptonite. We don't do this by eating it all (the temptation is there and I've been known to shove a few extra chocolates in my mouth on their way to the trash - try not to!)

AND after that clean-out, when you shop, steer clear of anything that is likely to tempt you. Your kids and family will adjust - if it’s not there, they may complain for a minute but they’ll adjust. If you need to do it, lie (“oh, they didn’t have ___ this week” or “it was too expensive this time, maybe we’ll get it when it’s on sale.”) They'll moan for maybe a minute and move on. 

Instead pack that fridge and pantry full of delicious, healthy, easy to grad options like these:



What’s most important is setting you up to be successful and that success and healthier eating habits will have a positive ripple effect for both you and your family so don’t worry about depriving them. Instead do what you can 

Comments

Popular Posts