The eternal quest for quick results

We've all been there - started a new diet or workout regiment on a Monday morning and by Friday we were already disheartened to see that the scale hadn't moved, that our pants didn't fit better.

I'm definitely guilty of that way of thinking and on more than a few occasions that Friday letdown has led to a weekend of over-eating as I embrace the "it doesn't matter anyway" or the "but I was so good this week" attitude.


When you decide to make a change in your health, it's hard NOT to be impatient. It takes a lot of work to come to the actual decision to make a change. Going a step further to actually DOING something about it takes even more work. So when we don't have that instant gratification that our hard work is paying off, it becomes easy to get in our own heads and doubt. Choosing to forego instant gratification for later reward is hard work! 


You've all heard of the famed marshmallow test, right? When they tested little kids' ability to forego a small pleasure in the promise that those who waited would receive a bigger reward?

What's the connection? Well, while the marshmallow test is often used to make a case for students' aptitude and later academic success. Where it's more directly applicable is if we apply it to our own goals, whether they be health and fitness, business or even life. 
Making a change, any change, is hard work. We're creatures of habit. We like the comfort of sameness, routine, habit. The problem is when those habits and routines aren't the ones we want to support us in living a healthier life. 

What then? 


Well, we wish, we dream, we fight, we resign, we whine, and all too often, we quit. 


WHY? 

  • Because it's easier to quit than to keep going. Believing in the possibility and likelihood of something greater takes faith, which many of us don't have and for those of us who've spent decades on that roller coaster that is body image and weight issues, that faith in ourselves has been crushed by repeated failures on other diets or programs.
  • It takes discipline and habits that many of us don't yet have. There's a reason you're starting something new - because the old habits weren't working. The challenge is that it takes 21 days to form a new habit. 21 days of doing that same behavior over and over again to help recondition your body and mind. The problem is, so, so many of us quit on ourselves well before the 21 days. I can't tell you how many times I tried the 21 Day Fix before actually successfully completing 21 days of actively following the meal plan. I consider myself a pretty disciplined person but it still took me a ton of tries and failures before doing it once successfully. 
  • We're impatient! We want results yesterday and aren't willing to do the hard work to get them. Consider that we're the generation that's been raised to DVR everything, to skip the commercials and to expect easy, quick, cheap results. No, it doesn't mean doing 3 hours of cardio a day or even starving yourself to get there
The thing is, if we simply followed a simplified nutrition plan for a week and/or set a goal of fitting in five 30 minute workouts, we would see a change. Maybe not a radical one, but enough of a change to inspire us to keep on keeping on. It's when you're sacrificing, setting the alarm early to get a workout in before you leave for work or before the kids getting up, choosing to forego dessert with friends or pizza with the family or a glass of wine at dinner, that it becomes the hardest to keep your mind focused when those results don't come right away. You have this big dream and want it so badly you can taste it but the question becomes how long can you hold out for that promise of more marshmallows?
This time of year you're not alone if you're finding it harder to follow through. Statistically something like 8% of Americans actually follow through on their New Year's resolutions. That's crazy! A large part of that is the we set goals that are a bit too lofty, but even in the case of SMART goals, it's still hard work to keep going without the validation of the scale moving or those pants getting more comfortable.

What can you do to help you?
  • SET RULES FOR YOURSELF (I say this a someone who is a total rule follower) - don't let yourself hop on that scale every day. Instead, tell yourself you're going to give it a week or 2 weeks before you measure/weigh yourself. Officially declare the kitchen closed after 7pm. Turn out the lights and steer clear. Tell yourself you're going to give it a week of being "on" every day but within that, plan for one good cheat meal - it'll keep you going and help you to stay focused the rest of the week.
  • REACH OUT FOR SUPPORT from those around you. Tell other people what you're doing, ask for their support. So much of the time we try to go it alone and that's where we set ourselves up. I know that in the past I've often avoided saying out loud that I was trying to eat healthier or lose 5 lbs. out of fear that when I didn't achieve that outcome, people would think less of me or because I didn't really want someone else holding me accountable. If I'm honest about that though, that's me giving myself an out. If no one knows that I'm trying to lose 5 lbs, they won't judge me when I reach for that piece of cake. The thing is though, if I really want to lose the weight, I WANT someone to keep me accountable. I want Andrew to help me, to make me stop and think before I mindlessly or destructively grab that cake. I need the accountability because I haven't always proven to myself that I can keep myself accountable and on track. So instead of keeping quiet and going it alone, reach out to others for support. That's where accountability groups come in. Maybe you don't have a team around you to keep you on track, maybe you don't feel comfortable telling your co-workers or friends what you're trying to do, or you have someone at home who is actively contributing to your derailment and tempting you constantly or berating you for your attempts. If that's the case, build yourself a community of supporters. That's what got me started with my first challenge group - I knew I wasn't doing well on my own and my family wasn't totally on board so I knew I needed to try something different. It was a total gamble but if you want to make a change, you need to be willing to take some risks, right?  
  • Lastly and most important, BE PATIENT and BREATH!
Even if your month is off to a slow start, know that you can set goals and resolutions for the month and the year any time - January 1st isn't the be all end all. You can press that refresh button any time.

If you're looking for a little reboot, I'm kicking off with my next accountability group, Resolutions Reboot, Jan. 25th. It may be 2 weeks into the New Year but if you're ready, we can change the tone of the year even now and you could be cruising into Feb. with a little community of supporters and a little external willpower. Interested? Want a little more info? Fill out the application below and I'll get your questions answered!


Fill out my online form.
Use Wufoo templates to make your own HTML forms.

Comments

Popular Posts