Another round of 21 Day Fix Extreme - this time for real!

I'm definitely someone who is always forward focused. I'm a planner, a goal setter, someone who struggles to stop, sit down and I have to constantly remind myself to breathe and enjoy the moment.

Sometimes being a forward thinker and a planner is an asset, while other times it can be a liability. To my benefit, I'm able to set goals for myself which often helps to keep me focused but when I'm too busy or stressed out it's harder to have that longview. It's times like these that I'm better with smaller goals and taking things in more manageable chunks. This was totally me this month. After floundering a little in Sept. and early Oct. I decided I needed a plan. So I set out to follow the 21 Day Fix. I've done both the regular Fix and Fix Extreme before a few times (my first round write-up of the 21 Day Fix Extreme and program review is here.) Both times though I'll admit that I followed the workouts more than I followed the food plan. I love a mix of cardio and weights but struggle a bit more to stay on point with my food. 

Day 1
Everyone has the thing that's easier for them and for me that's workouts. While not too long ago, both food and workouts were a struggle, I've trained myself well enough now to appreciate my workouts - they're my daily stress release and I've (shockingly) come to look forward to my daily workout. 

Where I still struggle more 2 years into this journey is with staying on point with my nutrition. I have made progress and I know that I do eat significantly healthier than I did before starting this journey. I used to "diet", which wasn't ever sustainable for long. I ate "healthy" whatever that meant to me at the time. I will tell you it didn't involve many veggies and was often something based loosely on low cal options or trying to cut carbs (a dance that never lasted long!)

This time though, I'm proud to say that I nailed it. 

I did the workouts. 

I followed the meal plan. 
I used the little containers and tracked my food on my 21 Day Fix app. 

And I can honestly say that I was on point with my nutrition 80% of the time which is always my goal. I had to get a little creative to survive the Halloween treats (think arming myself with a good workout and a Shakeology before work on those sweet-laden days,



bringing a chocolate Shakeology with me while trick or treating to avoid the sweets and coming up with healthier cheats and treats for those days when I just NEEDED chocolate,
and replacing my desire to snack on candy with the healthier and equally yummy frozen mango:)
My healthy sweet substitute for when the Halloween candy is calling.
I definitely had more than my allotted yellow containers (the beloved carbs and treats) over the 21 days but I stayed pretty true to my daily allowances. 

I even used the containers to measure (something I hadn't done before, instead choosing to eye-ball everything, which if I'm honest usually meant estimating high in my portions.) 

Over the course of the 21 days I've learned that I can follow the plan as long as I plan ahead and pack my meals/snacks in the morning. I was eating too much food. I like zoodles in place of pasta. Meals don't have to be complicated, and in fact are better when they're not.
My daily routine: pack breakfast, 2 snacks & lunch for work.

Who would have thought zucchini could taste so good?
Snacks gone simple.
This time I was determined, focused and kept telling myself that I could do anything for 21 days. I used the support of my challengers, checked in with them daily and did the work and here's the result: I'm down 2 lbs (which wasn't my goal) and I've lot 3 inches between my waist and legs. 

Pretty great for 21 days and enough to motivate me to keep at it as we head into December. Small manageable goals, short time period and support in place!

Let me know if you want to join us and end the year strong! My last group of the year kicks off tomorrow. Together we'll set manageable goals (whether it's weight loss or simply maintenance) and support each other in ending the year feeling focused, healthy and ready to rock the New Year. 

Fill out my online form.
Use Wufoo templates to make your own HTML forms.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts