Whole wheat waffles

One of my favorite things growing up was that on the days my mom was flying, my dad was in charge of dinner. His repertoire was a touch limited on the dinner front but he’s a masterful breakfast-maker so breakfast for dinner it was! Not quite sure who’s idea it was to spice up waffles with ice cream but you really just can’t go wrong. We’ve continued the tradition with my own kids and while it doesn’t happen often, when it does, it’s a treat worth talking about.

We used to be box waffle mix kinda people but in my quest to eat healthier I figured it was time to seek out a healthier alternative. This recipe from 100 Days of Real Food fit the bill and it’s definitely in our rotation from here on out. Enjoy!

Whole Wheat Waffles

Ingredients:
2 large eggs
1 ¾ c. milk (whatever kind of milk you have on hand should work fine)
¼ c. oil (I used melted unsalted butter)
1 Tbls. honey
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
¼ tsp. baking soda
1 ½ c. whole-wheat flour
2 tsp. baking powder
⅛ tsp. salt
100% pure maple syrup (OPTIONAL)

Directions:

1. Preheat your waffle iron.

2. In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, oil, honey, cinnamon, and baking soda until well combined.


3. Add in the flour, baking powder, and salt and whisk together just until the large lumps disappear.


4. When the waffle iron is hot, spray it with cooking spray (I use coconut oil spray) and then ladle some batter onto the center of the iron. Follow the instructions that came with your waffle maker to know how long it should be cooked (about 3 - 4 minutes each).



5. Top with whatever combo of toppings you like (I’m a fresh fruit and maple syrup kinda gal, the kids, obviously favor ice cream) and eat!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts