My Why

In my coach leadership group this week we were talking about WHY we choose to coach and what our purpose is. I wanted to share mine because even if it’s not your why, I think it’s important to be open with people. I know that for me, I’ve found tremendous strength in embracing my passion, pushing myself to be more out there, and allowing myself to be more open and vulnerable with people.

My why: I am a first born, a type A, a perfectionist and a people pleaser. I have spent my life doing what you're supposed to do - don't question your parents, work hard in school, go to college, don't rock the boat or speak up too much. I love the life that following those rules got me, on the outside. I have a wonderful husband, 3 crazy fun kids and a puppy, and a job as a high school teacher that has brought me joy for all of the 14 years I've worked there. I honestly couldn't imagine doing anything else for a living. I LOVE teaching. What's missing then? Space for me. I love my work and my family but as I discovered going back to work when my youngest was 8 weeks old, those two things alone can be all encompassing. I was running myself ragged, not sleeping enough, not taking care of my body or my mind. I had barely any time to see and connect with my friends, was beating myself up for my mom body, hiding behind the camera, and was walking around permanently feeling tired and lost in the need to take care of everyone else before myself. I am that person that puts on a good face. People pleaser and perfectionist, remember? I didn't really talk about how I was feeling. My husband knew I was struggling with my body. He saw me getting on the wagon with workouts and eating "healthy" for a few months and then the backslide that always happened a few weeks later. I think he knew that I wanted more for myself but I didn't talk about it. I tried to keep my unhappiness and the struggle to do it all and to be everything for everyone to myself.


Fast forward a few years... I'm still teaching full time and loving my job. My 3 kids are older, more self-sufficient and yet also somehow more demanding of my time in new and different ways. I am still crazy busy all of the time yet the pressure to do it all and be the perfect mom, wife, teacher is no longer a weight on my shoulders in the way it was a few years ago. What's changed? I no longer put myself last. Through the support of Beachbody I've found a routine that works for me. The accountability groups helped me make this a lifestyle change I could sustain, they supported me in taking the 30 min. a day to workout for ME and it's had a ripple effect as well for my family. Beachbody has introduced me to a supportive, empowering community of coaches and challengers who genuinely care about one another and who have the power to change their own lives and the lives around them. Beachbody has not replaced my love for my family and teaching job, it's simply helped me to be a better, more physically and emotionally balanced and happy parent, spouse and teacher. I can't imagine going back to the me of 5 years ago. Today, I have all of the same sources of joy as I once had. The difference is that by adding in taking care of myself and now supporting others in doing the same for themselves, I'm happier, healthier, more fulfilled than I've ever been and it makes me look forward to what's ahead.


If you’re looking to make a change in your life, there’s no time like the present. You have nothing to lose really other than the status quo which may not even be working for you if you really stop to think about it. I have 2 accountability groups kicking off tomorrow as well as a 5-day coaching sneak peek so there are plenty of ways to get moving if you’re ready to stop putting yourself and your needs last and are willing to commit. Message me on Facebook or fill out the application below for more details on any of these groups.


Fill out my online form.
HTML Forms powered by Wufoo.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts