Almond Florentines (GF/DF)

I'm back and ready to get back into my kitchen. Spring sports + a busy work schedule has meant not so much cooking over here lately (think lots of takeout, foraging, or Whole Foods runs for dinner.) Not so great for the pocketbook ($$$) and I'll admit I'm very much missing the catharsis that comes with being in my kitchen. 

School's out for summer and I'm excited to get back to cooking again. Our garden is growing like crazy so it's time to tap into my veggie creativity and keep my hands busy.

First up, a recipe for a healthy-ish summer friendly cookie. A friend of mine recently had the ingenious idea to start a bi-monthly cookbook club. This month's cookbook was Ottolenghi which I'd not heard of it before but a quick flip through yielded a lot of yummy potential. There's definitely more than a few recipes I'll be trying out this summer. This is my new go-to for parties since it's both easy and totally outside the usual chocolate cookie realm. Enjoy!
Almond Florentines

Ingredients:
2 egg whites
3/4 c. confectionary sugar
2 3/4 c. slivered almonds
grated lemon/orange zest (both are delicious so work with what you have on hand)

OPTIONAL: melt 1/4 c. dark chocolate chips & 1 Tbls. coconut oil for drizzling

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Brush parchment with oil (I use coconut or almond oil.)

2. Mix egg whites, confectionary sugar, sliced almonds and zest in a bowl. 

3. Dip your fingers into a bowl of cold water and pick up small handfuls of the almond mix and make mounds on the baking sheet, spaced well apart. Dip a fork in the cold water and flatten each almond mound out very thinly. You want them as thin as possible without having gaps between the almond slices.

4. Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 12ish minutes, until the cookies are golden brown. (Peek underneath a cookie to make sure they're cooked through.)

5. Allow them to cool and then gently remove the cookies from the baking sheet with a butter knife or thin spatula. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator.


OPTIONAL: If you're a chocolate person (who isn't?!), before removing cookies from the cookie sheet, drizzle cooled cookies with dark chocolate and place baking sheets into the fridge to cool before removing & eating cookies.

Comments

Popular Posts