Sweet potato quinoa cakes

This was one of those "I wonder if" recipes that I cooked up a few months ago in my quest to find bread substitutes. Darn gluten-free life is forcing me to get creative! 

I've been making a big batch of quinoa on the weekends to keep in the fridge or freezer for the week which helped. The sweet potatoes you can cook in the microwave wrapped in a paper towel so instead of the 40+ min they usually take to bake in the oven was really more like 10-15 min. in the microwave. I made 3 patties tonight and put the rest of the mix in the fridge for tomorrow's breakfast. I'm also going to shape some patties and freeze them for quick meal options during the week.

Ingredients:
2 cups cooked quinoa
2 cups mashed sweet potato (about 3 medium sized potatoes)
1 onion finely chopped (pan sauté in oil with the garlic, salt & pepper)
2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
salt & pepper, to taste

Directions:


1. Roast sweet potatoes in the oven until a fork easily pierces them. Let cool and scrap out insides into a bowl.

2. Add cooked quinoa, sauteed onion/garlic, salt and pepper to taste and stir until well combined.

3. Shape into patties and bake on a lightly sprayed cookie sheet at 400 degrees for about 20 min. Flip halfway through for a lightly browned exterior.

Comments

Popular Posts