My New Year's Whole30 - back in the saddle


So we're a week into our New Year's Whole30 and while it hasn't been a walk in the park, it was much needed. Both Andrew and I finished up the holiday season higher than we wanted to be on the scale, way too sugar and salt addicted and in need of something to get us back on track. While I realize most normal people don't go from a holiday binge into one of the more restrictive nutritional plans to start off the new year, we've done it before and had great results so it wasn't as significant of a system shock as it would be for some. With that said, it's hard getting back in the saddle, no matter how you choose to do it.

I miss my sugar. I miss my bready carbs. I miss the comfort of baking cookies during a snow storm. I also know that all of those things I miss are the reasons I was feeling so low in energy, why my skin looked like a teenager and why my pants were too snug coming off of holiday season. So I need to start missing those things a little bit more for me to reset my body, kick the cravings and get back to a good, healthier relationship status with food.

We started our Whole30 the day we went back to work and we're currently on day 6. In those 6 days I've relearned discipline (no more grabbing whatever's in my path and shoving it in my mouth), been forced to plan my meals (there are so many fewer quick easy options when you're Whole30ing! No pizza takeout happening here...sadly), and already have started to feel better (minus the killer cold I got leveled with this past week.

Whole30 is not supposed to be about weight loss but as you probably know, abs are made in the kitchen and if you're watching what you're eating, cutting out sugar, bread and all of the crummy things that we tend to eat for comfort but don't really need for fuel, you're going to lose weight. So far both Andrew and I have seen the scale move down which we both needed and wanted coming off of our December food bender. That and the fact that my skin's already clearing up and my energy and clarity is improved is enough to keep me going strong as much as I may want to dive into the cartons of ice cream sitting in my freezer.

While I never want to spend the time on the weekend to do the planning that I know I need to do to be successful during the week, it's especially important when you're watching what you eat. With Whole30 it's all the more imperative because you can't hit the vending machine for a snack or grab a pizza on the way home from work. So plan I do and prepping is underway today. Here's our plan for the week (let me know if you want any of the recipes! I'm working on tweaking the recipe page to be easier to peruse for those who are doing Whole30, paleo, gluten-free):
What I'm also excited about this month is that not only is Andrew doing Whole30 with me, I also have a group of about 20 friends and challengers who are doing it with us. We've put together a little online support group to help each other through it and already I'm loving having a resource to share recipes we find, ask questions when we have them and to lean on as we work our way through the next 30 sugar-free, alcohol-free, bread-free days. I started my Whole30 last week because I needed the clean start but our online support group starts tomorrow. If you want to join us let me know! We still have room for a few more interested people who are ready for the challenge. Fill out the info form HERE for more details.
If you're ready for a change but that change isn't Whole30, I have a great group of women who are starting their January resolutions tomorrow. This is the place to start if you need support with meal planning, need someone(s) to talk you off the ledge when you're ready to dive into the chips, if you need accountability to get you to the gym or working out, want help figuring out what to eat to lose weight or increase your energy, or even if you just want to connect with other likeminded women who are also working on being healthy in 2017. Our Resolutions Into Results group starts tomorrow and we always have room for a few more! Fill out the info form below for more details.

Fill out my online form.
HTML Forms powered by Wufoo.

Comments

Popular Posts