Homemade Crockpot Applesauce


I don't know what it is about fall but all I want to eat is homemade applesauce. It took me years to even consider making my own but after a few too many trips to the orchard one year and bag loads of unused apples staring me down on year I got creative in my apple usage. Crockpot applesauce was just one of those creations and I'm never going back. Super easy, delicious and perfect for a healthy snack, a dinnertime side for the kids or a light breakfast with a little granola or a muffin. Give it a try!

Ingredients:
6 lbs apples, peeled, cored & roughly chopped
1 c. water (apple juice or cider also works just fine too)
Juice of 1 lemon
1/4 c. maple syrup (OPTIONAL - If using maple syrup, decrease the juice/water amount by 1/4 c.)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg (OPTIONAL)


Directions:

1. Peel and slice apples into 1-2" pieces.

2. Throw all ingredients into the crockpot. Cook for 3 hours on high.

3. Remove cover of crockpot and mash the cooked apples with a fork or potato masher.

4. Cool the applesauce and store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.

Comments

Popular Posts