Getting Healthy During the Holidays

This time of year it's hard not to be distracted. The weather is getting colder which makes it harder to get out of bed in the morning. The clothes are a little more forgiving. It's holiday party season with all of the temptations that come with and we still have a ton of Halloween candy lying around calling my name.


It's funny. I joined my first challenge group this time two years ago, right before Thanksgiving. I knew signing up that I was in for a real challenge. The group was called Survive the Holidays for a reason! It was not the ideal time in a lot of ways to commit to eating healthier, but I was determined not to eat my way through the holidays and emerge on the other side a little fluffier and feeling even more negative about my body. 

I needed a change. I was hiding my mom belly under baggy tops, lacking energy, hating that I couldn't stick with any workout or diet for longer than a few months. Yes, I could have waited until the New Year or until summer vacation (like I always did.) The thing was, I'd been waiting for the perfect time for months, years, and it just never really presented itself. 
  • I worked full time in a job with a decent amount of take-home work. 
  • I had 3 little kids and a puppy.
  • I didn't sleep enough. 
  • I loved food. A lot. 
  • I wasn't strong or fit and exercise hurt. If I'm honest with myself, the pain was partly because I was so out of shape and partly because I remembered how fit I once was. The memory of how far I'd fallen also haunted me. 
So I had plenty of excuses. I mean who really decides to commit to a new diet or workout program BEFORE the holiday on the eve of a holiday that celebrates food and family? This girl, that's who.
It was hard making that change and certainly harder at a time of the year when there are so many food-centered holidays. As anyone who knows me knows, I LOVE to bake. It’s my stress release and there are just so many holiday baking traditions that I couldn’t fathom missing out on in my quest to live healthier. Well, the group was just what I needed. While I certainly wasn’t perfect (and far from it at times!), I emerged on the other side of the holidays a few lbs lighter, stronger, and most importantly, feeling GOOD about myself and my accomplishment. I mean really, how many people really are feeling GOOD about their bodies January 1st? Not too many I’d hazard to guess.

My mission two years ago when I started this journey was to figure out how to make this a lifestyle, not a diet, which I've done. Two years in, I now know that I can't expect perfection from myself. I'm flawed, we all are. I'm going to skip a workout here and there. There's some days when my body just needs the rest more than it needs the workout. I still love my pizza and ice cream - those cheat will always be part of my meal plan. What's made this longterm change possible is those allowances. 

Through that challenge group, I learned how to start. My coach taught me how to meal plan, what foods to eat (no more low cal or low fat processed food and instead real, whole foods), and even more importantly, she showed me how to celebrate my little victories and pick myself back up when I slipped. And slip I did. It's going to happen to all of us and most especially during the holiday season. The difference that year though was instead of that first slip leading to the downward spiral of cheat meal after cheat meal that brought me into the New Year bloated and with the resolution to lose 10 lbs in January and February, that year, I ended the year feeling strong, healthy, and more confident. I wasn't at my goal weight yet but I was on my way. BEFORE the holiday got the best of me.

There's something to be said for entering the new year with momentum. It may not be the best time but it's a time so why not? 

This year I'm excited to be working with an amazing, dedicated group of men and women who are determined to end the year healthy and strong. We're sharing healthy recipes, talking about how to navigate the upcoming Thanksgiving feast (check out my go-to healthy turkey recipe and seriously the best gravy I've ever had - both will be on my table this week), keeping each other accountable to the goals we've each set, and celebrating the end of the year with a new little community of supporters. 

I mean how great is it to have someplace to go vent, celebrate the little (or big successes) and to get support in navigating the challenges of the holiday season? Today's topics? Balancing the Thanksgiving day plate, sharing some holiday recipes, and daily check-ins like this:

Next week, I'm kicking off my last accountability group of 2015, the ultimate Holiday Survival Group and I'd love to have you join us to ring in the New Year healthier, stronger, and with some positive momentum. 


* clean eating holiday recipes
* support and motivation
* tips on how to “cheat” without the guilt
* tips on how to get back on track in between celebrations
* daily convenient meals with Shakeology
* 30 minute workouts of YOUR CHOICE


What is this group going to give you?

I'm opening this group up to 10 new challengers.This group is limited in size as I plan to personally mentor and support each member through all of the temptations that come our way in December and keep you accountable.

What do you say? Build some positive momentum with me for the New Year?

Interested in more info? Fill out the form below and let's connect!

Also, if we're not yet connected on Facebook, feel free to friend me for healthy recipes, daily tips and motivation and information on upcoming groups. https://www.facebook.com/melisa.shen  

Fill out my online form.
Use Wufoo templates to make your own HTML forms.

Comments

  1. Your story reminds me of my friend, who started embarking her healthy lifestyle journey right before the Thanksgiving Day. When i first heard it i stared at her in disbelief, as if she just lost a screw in her mind. I mean it's really hard to start a diet when there's temptation every now and then. Though i still supported her and give her advice as much as I can. But after reading your story, I am more inspired to help her out! I will make sure to recommend your story to her to boost her confidence. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Roxanne! It's definitely a seemingly crazy endeavor to embark on this time of year but so worth it. Anything you can do to support your friend would be helpful. :)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. So delicious! So great!
    thank you for your post.
    Cook at healthy smoothie recipes foods.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts