How to ride out a funk

I have no idea why or what has caused it, but I've felt a little off for the past week or so. I'm in a funk but for no reason that I can put my finger on.

Most likely it's end of the school year exhaustion. 
Stress and sleep deprivation compounded leave me with a tank that's a little lower than usual.

Nothing is "wrong," I'm just off. 


Do you ever have one of those weeks where all you want to do is snap out of it but you just can't?


When you just want to lie around in your pjs all day long? Go to bed early and snooze through the alarm? Skip your workout because the idea of it alone sounds exhausting? The kind of day when the routine of the day is more exhausting than anything else?

I KNOW that I can snap myself out of my funk more quickly if I stick to my routine and just keep plodding along.

I know that in my mind but sometimes you just don't want to do it. I feel myself reverting to the toddler version of Hayden stubbornly camped out under his bed saying "NO WANT TO!" when it was time to go to bed. I know I need to do it and that I'll feel better for it but I just have trouble rallying. Rallying to cook, to workout, to physically get up off the couch to go to bed. I know, laziness at its best, right?

I heard someone say the other day that "discipline outweighs motivation every day" and it struck me when I heard it. I actually stopped and wrote it down to think more about later.

It's totally true. We're not always feeling motivated. In fact, very often we lack motivation completely. The me of the past week or two knows that I should work out but I just am not feeling it. I know I'll feel better for it but I just am not feeling motivated. Add in the fact that I've been sleeping in a bit later and bumping my workout to the afternoons and you have a recipe completely devoid of motivation. The only thing that's keeping me going is knowing that I will feel better for it, that my body and mind need the healthy food and the daily sweat session to be able to perform in the way I want them to. When motivation is lacking, discipline kicks in. Thank god for that, right?

Discipline for me means putting one foot in front of the other just like I always do. Planning my meals (even if it doesn't mean they all get cooked), scheduling my workouts and pushing play as often as I'm able, using my people (Andrew, the kids, my challengers and fellow coaches) to keep me moving and on track, and getting enough sleep (which means more than my too little school-year norm of 5-6 hours.) A well-rested body and mind are better able to handle the day than one that's dragging!

So when my motivation is lacking, discipline is my go-to and it's what's going to enable me to emerge on the other side of my funk still in it and going strong and ready to amp things up.

So today,

I'm making my menu for the week.

I'm prepping enough good eats to get me through the beginning of the week.

I'm going to take a rest day and set the alarm early tomorrow for Beast Legs and abs, a workout that always kicks my butt but totally the perfect way to set the tone for a stronger week ahead.

I'm checking in with my challengers, getting my curriculum ready for an awesome 5 day FREE Guns & Guts challenge and setting my goals for the week ahead.

IT WILL BE A BETTER WEEK.
I WILL PUSH PLAY.
I WILL RELY ON MY HARD-EARNED DISCIPLINE TO GET MY THROUGH UNTIL I FIND MY MOTIVATION AGAIN. And find it I will.

1 more day of work and then summer vacation is here. Time to recharge, relax, get some sun, and have some fun. Me time coming my way!

Comments

  1. Great info here, very useful! I used to have a really small and flat belly, but I was recommended a great regime to get a six pack. I followed religiously and the results came thick and fast. I’m now ripped and it’s all thanks to this amazing six pack programme! http://84a858wavekagwc9j7p3rpvofc.hop.clickbank.net/?tid=TOTALSIXPACKABS

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts