Resolutions

My parents are big on resolutions. Ever since I can remember, they have both written out their resolutions and made us write our own as well. Each year we'd all write our list and they'd seal them in an envelope marked with the date and then put it away until the next New Year's Eve. As a kid I HATED this tradition. I'm not entirely sure why writing resolutions was something that made me so uncomfortable but it did. I've always been a planner so you'd think resolutions would be right up my alley. Even today, my desk at work is covered in post-it note to-do lists and my computer screen is covered in post-its for each area of life yet I still don't love writing resolutions. I think it's because I'm always working on goals so the idea of writing them all out at once Dec. 31st seemed strange to me.

Wherever you fall on resolution writing, it's undeniable, tis the season for resolutions. Whether you write them down or not, folks are inspired by the new year to do the things that they haven't yet made happen - get more sleep, get back in shape. eat healthier, meet new people, read more - you get the idea. The problem is that we dream big and then often don't do what we need to do to set ourselves up for success.

Much as I cringe at the thought of writing New Year's resolutions, I do firmly believe in the importance of goal setting and resetting. I ask my challengers to do this every time we begin a new group. The easiest way to measure growth is by looking back at where you started and really looking at the ways in which you met or came up short of one's goals.

If you've ever been to the gym in January, the new year commitment is obvious. It's packed! Go one or two months later and it's a very different scene. Why? Well, we all start the year with a renewed sense of commitment but that commitment quickly wanes when we realize that we're just as busy, tired, uncertain about where to start as we were before the holidays. Working out and eating healthy are hard work! Yes, some people can go it alone and be successful but that's not the case for everyone and even more so for busy folks.



So how can you make this new year different? Shake things up a bit. Get out of the same old, same old pattern. That could mean:

- registering for a 5 or 10k in the spring and coming up with a training plan to get in shape.
- signing up to try that Barre class that you've been thinking about for a few months now.
- joining an inter-mural sports team (meet people and get in shape!)
- find a friend to be your workout buddy - use each other to find the motivation to get to the gym each day. Keep each other on track!
- dust off that workout program you bought and never finished and make a commitment to do it now.
- pencil in a time to workout in your calendar each day. Literally put it in your calendar - make it an appointment that you just will not skip.
- find the gym membership card again and check out the class schedule to help get you motivated and back in the gym.
- message me or fill out the application below for more info on joining an accountability group. It worked for me and as many of my friends and current challengers will attest, it's a great measure of support, all from the comforts of your home.

Whatever you do, realize that it's far easier to get in shape when you're part of something bigger than yourself. So set those goals, share them with a friend or partner (remember, simply saying something out loud makes it all the more real and likely to then be followed through on), and figure out a game plan to make them happen.

This holiday season, I encourage you to really think about what you want for yourself in the new year. Then, think about what you need to do to set yourself up for success. The last thing any of us needs is another list of things to do and a complete and utter lack of will to make it happen.


Fill out my online form.
There are tons of Wufoo features to help make your forms awesome.

Comments

Popular Posts