My how we've grown!

It's funny. We so rarely take the time to notice our own growth. When you "see" yourself every day you miss things. We don't always notice the ways that we're changing. That's true of ourselves and the people around us.

I can't tell you how many people have seen Hayden in the past 2 weeks and commented that he's had a growth spurt. Every time I hear this, I'm surprised because I don't see it and somehow seemed to completely miss it. When I started to really look I have to admit that I still can't really see it unless I look at his pants - apparently there's a flood coming that I didn't know about. I chalk my obliviousness up to the fact that I see him every day which makes it hard to notice the difference.


It's the same thing that happens to me. I know I'm working out and that my body is changing, getting less fluffy and getting more lean but I really can't see it on a daily basis. That's in large part why I always tell my challengers to take progress pictures.


The other day I caught myself reaching mindlessly for one of the cookies I'd made for the kids' teacher cookie swap and caught myself. I knew I didn't really want the cookie so I took it away from my mouth and stepped away from the cookies. I did find myself wandering back more than a few times but each time I was able to counsel myself out of eating one. Not because I worry about the calories of it but more because I knew I didn't really want it. It wasn't something that would make me feel better. Sure they taste good, but it's such a short-lived pleasure and given how hard I know I'm working every day with my workouts and eating, the cookie just wasn't worth it to me. I save my splurges for Friday pizza and those amazing oatmeal-chocolate chip cookies that I make that are like cookie crack to me.

After my cookie test of will-power, I started to reflect back on the past year and really started to think about how far I've come in a year. I know that I'm learning and changing every day but I rarely stop to catalogue it. Friends and family often comment on the changes they see but I know it's important for me to recognize it too. Change is growth and I've done a lot of growing in the past year.


It seems silly but one huge area of growth for me is food. I always tell my kids that you have to try something a lot of times before deciding if you like it and it's true.
  • I now love brussel sprouts - something I NEVER, EVER thought I would say.
  • I made and ate curried cauliflower the other day by choice. Not under penalty of death. Who would have thought?
  • I DO NOT love kale nor do I think I'll get there but I've learned to never say never. ;)
  • I meal plan weekly - something I used to kind of do but whether I stuck to it was another thing. Now I plan it out, post it in the kitchen and do what I can to stick to the plan. Sometimes I start the week strong and end the week off plan but whatever! A plan in and of itself is growth. 
Changes in lifestyle - this is where I feel and see the most growth AND what I feel most proud of:
  • Working out has become my new normal, my mood regulator, the thing I look forward to each day. It clears my head and gets me in the right frame of mind for the day. I actually miss working out on my rest days. Crazy!
  • I have managed to make eating clean work for me. I'm no longer dieting or yoyo-ing with my weight. I practice the 80/20 rule, eating clean 80% of the time and being mindful of my splurges the other 20% of the time. It works, it's sustainable, and I FEEL better.
  • I feel healthy and strong. I like the changes I see in myself and I want to stick with it so I can continue to feel this good.
  • I want to make 38 better than 37. Age is just a number... gotta remind myself of that but it's so true. Feeling better at 38 than I did at 35 or 36 or even at 26. Age is just a number.
  • I have stumbled into this amazing job as a health and fitness coach and am LOVING every minute of being able to support others in making healthy choices and changes for themselves. I'm no expert and don't purport to be but honestly, I've found both for me and for others, sometimes we just need a cheerleader and helper to make our thoughts and wishes a reality. A huge shout out and thank you to my coach, Melanie Mitro, for being this for me and teaching me how to be this for others!
So there you have it. My end of the year reflection and a commitment on my part to make 2015 just a good, if not better than 2014.

If you haven't taken the time to stop and smell the metaphorical roses, try it and if you find yourself dissatisfied with those roses and want help to make 2015 a better year, drop me a line. I'd love to be your cheerleader and helper in whatever way I can.



Fill out my online form.
There are tons of Wufoo features to help make your forms awesome.

Comments

Popular Posts